The gardener's eye

The Gardener's Eye

Monday, November 7, 2011

Acer triflorum at the Arnold


Here are a trio of Acer triflorum trees in their blazing fall foliage glory at the Hunnewell Visitor Center at the entrance to the Arnold Arboretum. When I was searching for trees to plant in my garden, I thought it would be a good idea to see what trees and shrubs were chosen by the Arnold Arboretum to be placed in such a prominent location on their grounds. I selected Acer triflorum after seeing these trees a dozen years ago. It is a decision I don't regret.

2 comments:

  1. Michael, thanks for the post. I'm still thinking about small tree choices for my small town garden. I want four-season interest, flower, good fall color, interesting form and bark, all in a size that will grow relatively quickly to 15 or 20 feet, then stop. Not much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,
    Acer triflorum would be a good choice. Dan Hinkley did a piece in The Gardener about ten years ago. His list of favorite small trees included Cornus kousa and C. mas, Acer pseudosieboldianum, Styrax japonicus and S. obassia, Clethra barbinervis and Sorbus commixta. Surprisingly, he didn't mention and stewatias. Have fun tree hunting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails