The gardener's eye

The Gardener's Eye

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Getting the Curves Right in the Woodland


 This weekend I worked on refining the curves in the Woodland Garden. This is a view from above. You can see the neighbor's green shed to the far left.


In the portion of the path by the new wooden steps, I made the curve go the opposite direction beyond the steps.


This is a similar view showing how the curve is accentuated on the left to help the path wind down the hill.


This shot shows the final curve at the top of the woodland garden. The area to the right will be seeded up to the green garden markers.


This is the same area from the opposite direction before...

 

...and in process...


 This is the 'before' picture farther down the hill. The shed is on the right side. The path went straight down. I thought a curve would make for a nicer (and hopefully easier) journey through the garden.


The hoses delineate the future path.


The plants have been moved and the curve is much nicer (to me eye, at least)


This is a far veiw from below--note the shed

 

The far view in process...


Before: a closer view from below--note the shed again


After: all the plants have been move to widen the curve. Now that the paths have been adjusted, the next job will be to add stone steps. To be continued....








12 comments:

  1. I would trees and shrubs in a cluster to screen out the view of the shed and the row of houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Rachelle. There are a few deciduous trees and shrubs waiting to leaf out. The view to the rooftops will one day be hidden by a pair of Picea orientalis 'Gowdy' trees. Now I need to be patient and wait. Thanks for your ideas!

      Delete
  2. Yes, your adjusted paths increase the grace of the garden journey. Good Work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like spring is starting up there, and a challenge of a project that will soon reward. "Soon", I say, but maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually more like the end of winter, Dave. Not the most attractive time in the garden here, for sure. Slow and steady wins the race, has been my mantra. Getting the paths set will allow me to get plants in the ground where they will stay permanently. The stone work and paving can be slowly added as time and budgets permit.

      Delete
  4. Will you use stone steps all the way, or some areas with steps, some simple paths, and areas to rest or pause?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi James! That is a decision in process. I would like the new curved path near the shed to be rustic stone steps like what I experience hiking. I have seen a really nice example of what I am thinking about at The Garden in the Woods in Framingham, MA. One day there might be a stone terrace where the Adirondack chairs are located. That will be a safely nestled-into-the-hill resting spot and promontory. On the far end, near the granite post, I think I need to keep it a ramp so I can get a wheel barrow up and down. The nice thing about grass is that I can experiment with shapes and lines and add the hardscape later. I have done that in other parts of the garden (that have brick paving, for instance) and it has been a cost-effective strategy. As much as I enjoy the final results, the process is what I find exciting. There is a part of me that doesn't want it to be finishing or be completed I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to get things happening Michael. You know, whenever I've looked at your blog I've thought you had such a beautiful place, there couldn't be much more that needs doing. Obviously I'm wrong.
    Gardens never stop, do they? Your detailing here indicates a whole new plan ahead, a whole new adventure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing about being on a steep hill is that the land is terraced with hedges in a way that hides the woodland garden from view. So the visitor gets the impression (I hope) that the garden looks beautiful and complete. Right now the woodland garden is a work in progress and seeing it is a surprise. Now I need to make it a good surprise not a scary one!!

      Delete
  7. If you really want to make your outdoor area looks beautiful, you need to start planning a landscaping and gardening project. It is also a good idea to install patio area and put outdoor furniture to make a good outdoor living room space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samantha. The garden is terraced on 3 levels. The middle level has two terraces with plenty of comfortable seating. This 3rd area, farthest from the house, has a pair of Adirondack chairs and will one day may also have a rustic patio hopefully harmonizing with the less-civilized woodland garden setting. If you have ideas about furniture that would be appropriate let me know. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails