The gardener's eye

The Gardener's Eye

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Pettifers in May



Last month, The Passionate Gardener Tour visited Pettifers Garden in Oxfordshire. I had checked out the garden last spring and I was pleased to be able to take my group this year. The owner, Gina Price, showed us around the garden pointing out interesting plant combinations and discussing changes in the garden.The formal Parterre at the heart of the garden looks good from every angle. 







Even the driveway has a handsome topiary planting.


Iris lactea, above, is new to me and is on my list of plants I want to add to my garden. It is a common wild iris from China, Afghanistan and Korea. I liked the light blue flower matched with the thin foliage of this sweet-looking iris.


I loved the combination above last year and I couldn't resist photographing it again.




Every year, there seems to be a plant that I discover in multiple gardens. This year, it was Valeriana pyrenaica. It is a native of the Pyrenees Mountains. It is a self-seeding perennial with small lilac-colored flowers. I also saw it used to nice effect at Great Dixter. Ed Bowen of Opus Plants has carried it in the past. I am hoping to get a plant from him the next time he has it available.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails