The gardener's eye

The Gardener's Eye

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Peterborough Winter Walk-Off 2013



 I will follow up my last post with my daily walk from my house to my office in Peterborough, NH. You can see more Walk-Offs at A Tidewater Garden


Across the street is the elementary school where my wife, Betsy, teaches third grade.


Our neighbors are collecting sap in buckets for Maple syrup


This house was once a schoolhouse.


This snowman is in the garden of my friend, Mollie, who volunteers in the parks of Peterborough.


Not quite sure how this beer can landed in this hedge??!!


A waterfall in the Nubanusit River. When the leaves are off the trees, you can hear the roaring water for our bedroom. The garden beyond the fence was once deigned by Fletcher Steele.


Down Main Street to the center of Peterborough.


The Peace Pole at the Town House


Peterborough's Town House, at the corner of Grove and Main Streets was built in 1918.


The Unitarian Church on Main Street across the street from my office


Some shops and offices on Main Street


Roy's Market is a well-known grocery store also across the street from my office.


Our destination, my office at 9 Main Street.  A pretty mundane walk compared to my Vieques trip last week!!

15 comments:

  1. A very different landscape and climate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, I want to go to Peterborough! And while I'm there, in Peterborough, I want to grab some snow and take it home. Your entire town seems to be landscaped. No wonder you're there. You wouldn't want to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faisal, come for a vist, there is PLENTY of snow to go around! Glad you enjoyed Peterborough so much.

      Delete
  3. I like Peterbrough better. Are there any recognizable remains of that Fletcher Steele garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jmaes,
      Thanks. Not really. I have seen pictures of it in Robin S. Karson's book, Fletcher Steele, Landscape Architect: An Account of the Gardenmaker's Life. That was pretty interesting to stand in the same spot across the Nubanusit River to view the garden some 80 years later. There were several Elm trees in his design that were lost. It was redone to good effect probably 30 years ago.

      Delete
  4. Not mundane at all - so exotic to me, including the architecture, or pastoral and unhurried scenes (in the wild west, it's either crazy or very remote "I could fall or get eaten, and no one would find me!"). The bilingual peace pole - English, then French - is very telling, but the maple sap buckets are the best. Thanks for this and your tropical island walk, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I guess we all take for granted what is outside our backdoor. I thought the sap buckets were classic New Hampshire this time of year.

      Delete
  5. Mundane is relative. What you have shown of Peterborough looks very picturesque, and I know several people who cherish New Hampshire. Thank you again for your entries in my Winter Walk-Off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les,
      I love it here as well. I don't know if you knew this, but Thorton Wilder wrote "Our Town" at the MacDowell Colony here in Peterborough. Grover's Corners is supposed to have been modeled after Peterborough.

      Delete
  6. We ARE lucky to live in Peterborough Michael. Thanks for the look into your "commute" to work. I'm Tyler Ward. I live in the "Brick Block" across from the library, near your office actually. I'm on the Heritage Commission and Debby Kaiser (HC Chair) told me about your Blog. It's Great, I love it. I shared it on the Peterborough NH Heritage Commission Facebook page. It's inspired us to make the HC page on the town website more interesting too. I better get to work on it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tyler!
    I agree, we ARE very fortunate to live in Peterborough. I am very pleased you are enjoying the blog. I think I need to garden in the parks a few more decades before they are worthy of the heritage commission's attention. Thanks for all the good work you do for our town. I hope our paths cross soon! Thanks for commenting and for sharing our gardens on your Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New England looks good in every season. Sometimes you have to look a little harder but even at those times there is always a hidden gem or two. Thanks for the tour. Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only time I don't love New Hampshire is during mud season. I grew up near Philadelphia and the mid-atlantic states have a lovely spring. Thanks for commenting, Sue. I got a quick look at your blog, looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the walk. I feel as though I have gotten out on a a very brisk, but very enjoyable day. I really loved the photos and the information. thank you for letting me come along.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails