The gardener's eye

The Gardener's Eye

Monday, September 26, 2011

Magnolia sieboldii in Fruit





Magnolia sieboldii in late September is a thing of great beauty. I think the fruit rivals the flowers as a feature in the garden. The ornamental 3-inch-long carmine fruit dangles off the tree and eventually busts open to reveal orange seeds. The fruit are oval in shape and have a little spine-like points that create an interesting texture.

A native of Korea, Japan and China, Magnolia sieboldii is a lovely small tree that has prospered beautifully on the north side of our house located in Zone 5. It gets plenty of sun in the morning but seems to appreciate the protection the house provides.


4 comments:

  1. I remember when you posted about this tree when it was in full bloom. It is hard to believe that the fall is here already! Those fruits are magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen, this tree has a lot going for it that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are amazing fruits. I've only seen the tree in flower. I edited & re-arranged the blogs on my Google home page. I hope that I can keep better track of my favorites, like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Jordan. It is a favorite tree in flower and fruit. Great to hear from you and thanks for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails